See part 1 of this modular table idea here.
Monday, December 21, 2009
See part 1 of this modular table idea here.
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
See part 2 of this modular table idea here.
See how to make the buildings here.
Friday, December 11, 2009
See him finished here.
Friday, December 4, 2009
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Friday, October 2, 2009
I need to work on the lighting for my pics, but below are a couple marines showing my newly finalized colors. The ML was painted entirely with this new scheme, while the flamer was painted in a different scheme and then touched up to bring in line with the new.
This was more about finding the colors, and less about painting to top standard. Hopefully, my line highlights will be more careful and neat on showier pieces. Also, these obviously need a lot more work (weapons, details, etc. but I do like the eye of the ML trooper).
I decided to ditch the pauldrons with a bleached bone field. They are bears...bears that have been charging through the blood of their kills, seeking more enemies to slay. Really, I wanted brown, but after deciding that most will have red legs, I found that the brown was overpowered by the huge white pauldrons. I think this will also help with the chapter symbol, a nice dark background to slap a white symbol on. I may have some vets with white helms, and some sarge's with red helms. We'll see.
Because of the dark lighting, you'll definitely need to view the larger pic to see anything, and maybe even zoom in on that.
Also, with the switch to brown pauldrons, I can get away with a pauldron trim color, which is more appropriate since it's a codex chapter at the moment. I'm leaning toward a muted gold for second company or red for third (Ultramarines standards)
Blah blah blah...
Update: a stab at correcting the shoddy pic...colors are a little more true to life:
Thursday, October 1, 2009
This is a little closer to what I had in mind. I'd still like to stretch the building sets with some less ornate panels...get more out of them. I'd also like to elevate the whole structure and have a stair leading up to the main entry (again, like zigor). That would also allow for a blasted floor and rubble spilling out of the building.
And of course, whatever configuration I set the pieces up in, I plan to have a lot more flooring remnants at the various levels. I like the idea of almost everything counting as a ruin, but minimizing the area terrain (I wouldn't want to play the entire interior as area terrain). I'll have to consider that if I decide to glue these up into a permanent configuration. Right now, I'm just having fun building and seeing how far the pieces will go (I used most of what I have on this set-up).
I was very careful when I was shooting the pics...some of them are pretty fuzzy...
Friday, September 25, 2009
In the boxes:
The boxes opened: (there's a lot of plastic here)
A quick structure: (all boxes are modular and compatible, this is probably no more than 15% of the available pieces)
The pics aren't great, I had to coax each shot from the dying batteries...
but I'm excited by the possibilities. The pieces snap together, so I can take apart and reconfigure with ease. I'm eager to take a look at the cathedral we discussed last weekend, ruined by the Crashed Imperial Aquila Lander.
Friday, September 11, 2009
I like the Gothic buildings of 40K, but our resin casting endeavors will probably yield much better results. As mentioned before, the foam molds and water putty might ought to be left to concrete barricades, bunkers, bridges, etc. Or a more industrial style building. Or natural elements...
Still, I'll probably cast a few more of these and remove some of the 'window glass', just so I can make at least one 12"x12 or 24" building ruin.
Unfortunately, the first glimpse of a home-made building left me thinking...man, I'd rather pay $20 bucks and get this:
Speaking of that, if I were to buy a building, what are your thoughts on an Imperial Sector (manufactorum, administratum, sanctum imperialis, additional pieces for 4th bldg)
the Imperial Strongpoint (box set contains one Imperial Strongpoint, including two plastic Bastions and three plastic Aegis Defence Lines).
Monday, September 7, 2009
I've been kind of itching to see what I can do about this, so I worked more on this than terrain over the weekend. Below: the two old terminators were from identical blisters and would have the same pose if not for the conversions. The current terminator is from AoBR, but I think it's the same size-wise as those from a termie box.
You see the base layer of green stuff over the pins...I'll build this up to make it look seamless and add detail later.
We spoke before about sharpening the blades of weapons, I decided to do it on the lighting claws since they were so bent and chunky to begin with.
Friday, September 4, 2009
While I didn't shoot a pic yet, I did try another sand mold blast crater the other night. It came out better, but I'm still not sure they're worth making. I'll try to get it on here, I'm interested in getting your opinion (may be hard to tell without being painted). Of course, for an average cost of pennies, they look pretty good.
Sunday, August 30, 2009
Mold #2: The same mold could produce all three panels shown in the picture, depending on the spacer blocks I included. The foundation panels and parapet panels are mold #1 from the previous post.
I think the window mullion (center partition) is too thick...proportion is a little off, but I also think it's as slight as I'm comfortable with using the Durham's. It's not so off that a building made from these panels could be used to pad out a battlefield that had other GW or Pegasus items. (also, it'll be much less noticeable once "battle damage" is applied...)